If your organization is hiring and you would like to provide a link to the position announcement on the Desert Tortoise Council website, please contact our webmaster.
SWCA: Biological Monitor
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a highly qualified wildlife biologist for a project near Mojave, California. This position is hourly and temporary, lasting the duration of the project (several months), and compensation is dependent on experience. There is potential for long-term opportunities on similar projects and advancement for the right candidate.
What you will accomplish
You will accompany teams working in habitat for desert tortoise and Mohave ground squirrel, ensuring that impacts to these species are avoided and minimized. You will communicate effectively with SWCA project managers, field crews, and other environmental specialists to complete the field work and reporting requirements. You will use a tablet with onboard GPS to follow project maps and document special-status species encountered, and submit daily monitoring notes. Close attention to detail and strict adherence to project safety requirements is a must.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in biology, ecology, wildlife biology, herpetology, or related fields
- At least 60 days’ prior field experience using accepted resource agency techniques to survey for desert tortoises .
- The ability to recognize and to accurately identify and record all types of desert tortoise sign.
- Demonstrated pertinent field experience in capturing and handling ground squirrels or other small mammals in desert/arid communities and who has been permitted by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to work with Mohave Ground Squirrel without supervision.
- Possess, or able to obtain with SWCA sponsorship, 40-hour HAZWOPER certificate and pass a physical exam.
- Ability to travel to a location, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds is required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with field crews who have diverse backgrounds and experience, excellent communication skills.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
EOE – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.