Annual Business Meeting
The Annual Business Meeting of the Desert Tortoise Council will be held in a hybrid format (i.e., in person and virtually) in conjunction with the 49th Annual Desert Tortoise Council Symposium. The business meeting will convene at 8:00 AM on Wednesday, February 21, 2024, at the South Point Hotel, Casino, and Spa, Las Vegas, Nevada. Click below for the meeting agenda. All Council members and guests are invited to attend the Business Meeting. The Board of Directors will provide a summary of accomplishments over the past year, and report on the financial status of the organization. There will be an election of officers. In addition, the Board of Directors has recommended several revisions to the Bylaws to be voted on by the general membership (all Council members in good standing are eligible to vote even if not registered for the symposium).
The proposed revisions to the Bylaws include:
- Consistency in grammar, use of social media, and posting of Board meeting minutes.
- Clarification that employees of the Council and ex-officio members of the Board do not have voting privileges.
- Establishes that key officers and standing committees chairpersons are to identify “understudies” to fill in for those positions if the officer or committee chairperson can no longer function in that position.
- Clarification of responsibilities of the Parliamentarian and Corresponding Secretary.
- Clarification of the structure and responsibilities of the Audit Committee.
- Clarification of the function of the Mexican Tortoise Conservation Committee.
- Establishes that officers and the chairperson of each standing committee submit a written report of accomplishments to the Board Chairperson at the end of each year.
- Allows for the Board Chairperson and Operations Manager to conduct bank transactions.
Click below to review the Council’s Bylaws, with proposed revisions displayed in track/changes. Please attend the Annual Business Meeting and actively participate in the operations of YOUR Council.