Special codes are required to required to register for these workshops (see Prerequisites section, below).
You may register for ONE of the following:.
Friday Nov 5 from 8:30 AM – 5 PM
OR Saturday Nov 6 from 8:30 AM – 5 PM
Duplicate registrations will be cancelled.
We anticipate all slots will fill and that there will be a wait list.
Please read all descriptions carefully.
Completion of the online lecture course for 2020 or 2021:
2020 Lecture Course Attendees: Those who completed the 2020 online lecture course will receive a code to register for an outdoor field workshop approximately one week before registration is opened to this year’s course participants.
Fully Paid Registrants for the 2021 Online Lecture Course: Fully paid registrants for the 2021 online lecture course will receive a code to register for an outdoor field workshop if space is available, but will be allowed to attend only after completing the lecture course.
Cost & Registration
The cost of the field workshop is $150 ($100 for students). This fee does not include any travel, food, or lodging costs. Each individual will have to register separately, do not have anyone register for you. Students must send proof of current school enrollment to the email address below.
You can arrange payment by a payer other than yourself by entering that person’s email in the “Payer Email” field, in the registration form. You must then notify us at the email address below so we can forward the invoice to the payer. You may also request via email to have your paid position reassigned to another person within your company or agency.
You must register and pay the invoice (this is a 2-step process) in order to receive the materials, the link and password to join the course, and a code to allow you to register for available spaces in the outdoor field workshop. Materials will be sent to your email prior to the start of the course. The links and passwords will be sent just before the course begins.
Paid registrants may cancel and request refunds:
- until October 1 for a full refund, less a $10 handing fee.
- until October 15 for a a 50% refund.
- after October 15 for a full refund only if you become ill. Please email your request immediately so that we will be able to bring people from the wait list into the workshop. If you arrive for the course and you appear to be ill, you will have to leave the workshop and your fees will be forfeited.
Email is sufficient to request a cancellation and refund.
If you would like pay by check, you can click the “Invoice Me” button, at the end of the online registration process, and mail a check payable to Desert Tortoise Council (with “Field Workshop” on the memo line) to:
Desert Tortoise Council
4654 East Avenue S #257B
Palmdale, CA 93552
The morning demonstrations will cover topics including identification of sign of desert tortoise and other desert species, and types and construction of tortoise-proof fencing. There will be a brief lunch break on site. The first afternoon demonstration will be how to process a desert tortoise. The final activity will be to walk a 1-kilometer transect, learning how to detect and record tortoises and sign. We hope for interactive sessions with many questions.
This workshop will be held in the field, outdoors only, with no handling or passing of any materials, and with appropriate CDC recommended protocols for masking and social distancing. By registering you agree to comply with all COVID protocols — specific protocols will be determined according to the CDC advice available at the time. All instructors will be fully vaccinated. Most likely you will be asked to wear an approved mask over your mouth and nose and remain socially distanced at all times.
You Will Need
- to be well. Anyone showing signs of illness will be required to leave the workshop and their fees will be forfeited. Vaccinations are strongly advised but we will not be checking COVID vaccination status.
- appropriate clothing for outdoor work and for walking transects. The weather is unpredictable in early November and could be hot and dry or cold, windy, and rainy. We recommend layers.
- sturdy shoes or hiking boots, a hat, and sunscreen.
- your own water bottle, snacks, and a sack lunch.
- the map to the site, and all of the other handouts and data sheets that will be sent to you as pdf files prior to the workshop. Print them out and bring them — we will not provide them onsite.
- a clipboard, pencil and pen.
- to complete an online course evaluation prior to receiving certification by US Mail.
- to arrange for lodging and meals — Ridgecrest has many inexpensive motels and restaurants.